From a Modern Dance of Death by Ernst Barlach
Art work details
- Original Title :
- Aus Einem neuzeitlichen Totentanz
- Year of production :
- Ernst Barlach
- Medium :
- Original print, Lithograph
- Paper, Ink (printing)
- Dimensions :
- height: 34.5 cms; width: 28 cms
- Credit Line :
- Purchased from Mrs Margaret Fisher
- Catalogue References:
- Schult II, 78. Laur 29. Söhn 10611-3. Feilchenfeldt/Brandis Z4.11. Rifkind 84.
- Associated Groups :
- Berliner Secession
- Lithograph, Barlach, World War I, Death, Der Bildermann
War is depicted as a massive giant poised above a mountain of skeletons, ending life with a sledgehammer blow. Barlach’s title looks back to the medieval theme ‘A Dance of Death’ in which living and dead both join a procession or dance, portraying the inevitability of death the equaliser.
Page from Der Bildermann 1, No. 11 (1916), recto Symbole der Zeit VII by Max Slevogt.
Printed by Paul Cassirer.