The Year of our Lord 1916 by Ernst Barlach
Art work details
- Original Title :
- Anno Domini MCMXVI Post Christum Natum 1916
- Year of production :
- Ernst Barlach
- Medium :
- Original print, Lithograph
- Paper, Ink (printing)
- Dimensions :
- height: 34.5 cms; width: 28 cms
- Credit Line :
- Purchased from Mrs Margaret Fisher
- Catalogue References:
- Schult II, 80. Laur 31. Söhn 10614. Feilchenfeldt/Brandis Z4.14. Rifkind 83.
- Associated Groups :
- Berliner Secession
- Lithograph, Barlach, Religion, World War I, Der Bildermann
Title page of Der Bildermann 1, No. 14 (1916), verso Wenns so weiter geht... by August Gaul.
Barlach wrote in his diary: “Today I sent a drawing to Der Bildermann - Christ is led by the Devil on to a mountain and shown the kingdoms of the world and their glories (only crosses, as far as the eye can see). In the middle ground rises Golgotha with three empty crosses. Text: Anno Domini 1916 post Christum Natum. The Devil says: ‘Your dear Christians are devilishly clever at learning the technique.’ ”
Printed by Paul Cassirer.