Dressing Room by Max Beckmann
Art work details
- Original Title :
- Year of production :
- Max Beckmann
- Medium :
- Original print, Drypoint, Etching
- Ink, Paper
- Dimensions :
- plate height: 20.5 cms; plate width: 15.5 cms
- Credit Line :
- Purchased from Mrs Margaret Fisher
- Copyright :
- © DACS 2013.
- Catalogue References:
- Glaser 167. Gallwitz 164. Hofmaier 192 B b. Rifkind 138 2.
- Weimar Republic, Beckmann, Drypoint
Plate 2 of The Fair, a series of ten drypoints published by Maier-Graefe and Reinhard Piper in 1922.
In a cramped interior, two performers apply their make-up, having to share the same tiny table and mirror. The expressions are a mixture of distortion and weariness, the mask of happiness slipping to reveal the grim reality of a life on the move.