Three Nudes on a Beach by Max Pechstein
Ink and wash, 1917.
Art work details
- Year of production :
- Max Pechstein
- Medium :
- Ink and wash drawing
- Ink, Watercolour, Paper (Japanese)
- Dimensions :
- height: 33.3 cms; width: 49.0 cms
- Credit Line :
- Purchased from Mrs LS Gurr with MGC/V&A Purchase Grant Fund assistance
- Copyright :
- © Pechstein Hamburg/Toekendorf / DACS, 2013.
- Associated Groups :
- Die Brücke
- Nudity, World War I, Portrait, Pechstein
The Brücke artists often holidayed together in the summer, sketching their models from life outdoors, in the woods or on the beach. Although produced after Pechstein’s expulsion from Die Brücke in 1912, this work symbolises an important Brücke theme, the search for a genuine connectivity between art and life, exploring the landscape, and in particular, placing the nude in unspoiled landscape, both as a link to nature and as an emblem of sexual freedom.